Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed Upright Vacuum Cleaner is compact, rather lightweight, convertible upright vacuum cleaner. It comes with several Shark's cleaning technologies, including DuoClean floor nozzle, Lift-Away body design, Anti-Allergen Complete Seal technology etc.
Also, Shark NV771 features duster crevice tool and pet multi-tool, for cleaning various surfaces commonly found at homes and apartments.
Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed - Features and Specifications
Shark NV771 is designed as the main vacuum cleaner in homes and apartments, requiring vacuum that is capable of cleaning both floors and elevated surfaces. Its main features include:
- Shark's DuoClean technology features two rotating brushes in the main floor nozzle. A soft brushroll is designed for picking up larger dirt and objects and directly engage floors for a polished look. A bristle brush is designed for deep-cleaning of carpets and similar surfaces.
Main floor nozzle features the brushroll garage, which enables the user to easily access and clean the brushroll without turning the vacuum cleaner upside down, making the maintenance much easier.
Although unit weighs 13 pounds (~5.9 kg), most of the weight is on the floor itself, which combined with swivel steering, allows the unit to be rather maneuverable around the floor objects and obstacles.
Main floor nozzle also features strong LED headlights for cleaning in low-light conditions, but also for spotting the dirt during the daylight. The LED headlights cannot be turned off.
- Lift-Away technology allows the user to quickly detach the canister and lift it away from the rest of the unit (hence the name 'Lift-Away') to clean hard-to-reach areas above the floor using cleaning hose, wand and on-board cleaning attachments. Lift-Away technology enables the user to easily clean stairs, furniture, upholstery and other elevated surfaces using vacuum's full power, if required.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal technology - whole unit is designed for picking up and capturing the vacuumed dirt inside the vacuum. Air filtration is achieved using motor pre-filters and HEPA post-filter. Shark NV771 captures 99.9% of 0.3 microns or larger particles, including pollen, dust and other potential allergens.
Note: Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed is very simple to use and maintain vacuum. Nonetheless, before very first use, read the manual/instructions thoroughly.
Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed upright vacuum cleaner is powered via 30 feet (~9.15 m) long power cable.
Unit doesn't feature automatic power cord rewind system, instead the power cable is manually wrapped around the cable wrap hooks.
Maximum unit's power is 900 watts (7.5 Amps), providing very good suction, which combined with DuoClean technology does very good cleaning job.
In order to protect the vacuum, it comes with overheat protection, which shuts off the unit if it starts to overheat. In that case, turn off the unit, unplug it from the wall, wait for 45 minutes and then check for clogged filters, hoses and other air pathways.
Note: while you wait for the unit to cool down, check the manual and its 'how to remove blockages' section!
Shark NV771 features two cleaning modes:
- carpets: when power/surface selector is set to the 'carpet setting', brushroll is set to spin faster, deeply cleaning the carpets.
- hard floors: when power/surface selector is set to the 'hard floor setting', brushroll is set to spin slowly.
Suction control is positioned at the base of the top handle, and it allows the user to adjust the vacuum's suction, which is required when vacuuming sensitive carpets and area rugs, curtains and similar delicate surfaces.
Note: Shark NV771 is generally easy to move around, but if there are issues with maneuverability, decrease the suction and set the unit to 'Hard Floor'.
Shark NV771 physical dimensions are (H x W x D) 46 x 9.5 x 10 inches (~117 x 24.2 x 25.4 cm).
Cleaning path of the main floor nozzle is 8.5 inches (~21.6 cm), allowing the user to clean relatively large area fast - units with stronger motors and wider cleaning paths can do that faster, but also such units are not as compact, light and maneuverable as Shark NV771 - hence the name 'Speed'.
Dirt cup is transparent, allowing the user to see amount and type of vacuumed dirt. Maximum capacity of the dirt cup is 0.9 dry quarts (~1 liter) to the MAX fill line. In order to keep the performances, never let the dirt cup fill above the MAX fill line - hence its name :)
Since the dirt cup is emptied from the bottom, it can be emptied quickly, without making a mess. Also, dirt cup features top-empty access for easier cleaning and if required, removal of stuck-on dirt and debris.
Shark NV771 Air Filtration
Shark NV771 traps 99.9% of 0.3 microns or larger particles. It is HEPA unit, but not 'true HEPA', which captures 99.97% of particles. It is important to know that there are several HEPA standards and that 'true HEPA' filters cause larger air pressure drop.
Air filtration is achieved by combining:
- pre-motor foam and felt filters - these filters are washable and should be washed every 3 months or depending on the usage.
- post-motor HEPA air filter - this is also a washable filter and it is recommended to wash it every 12 months or as needed.
Note: after washing, let the filters dry completely - never assemble or use the unit without the filters and never use the wet/moist filters.
Shark NV771 Cleaning Tools
Shark NV771 comes with several cleaning tools, including:
- main cleaning floor nozzle with two rotating brushes, suitable for cleaning various surfaces, including bare floors and carpeted areas. Using controls, user can adjust rotating speed (slow for bare floors and faster for carpeted areas), but also suction strength.
- cleaning wand and flexible cleaning hose (genuine 'upright with hose' vacuum), help the user with cleaning elevated surfaces.
- duster crevice tool is 2-in-1 cleaning tool. Crevice tool is designed for cleaning tight and narrow areas and gaps, like between cushions, car seats, mattresses, along the edges, in the corners and similar. Soft dusting brush is designed for gentle cleaning of various surfaces.
- pet multi-tool is convertible tool, allowing the user to clean different types of dirt from multitude of surfaces. Stiff bristle brush removes stubborn and stuck-on dirt and messes, while upholstery tool cleans pet and human hair, lint, fibers, and other debris when required.
If required, other cleaning attachments can be ordered separately from online shops and stores.
Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed upright vacuum cleaner comes with 5-year limited warranty.
Shark DuoClean NV770 Lift-Away Speed vs Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed
Shark DuoClean NV770 and NV771 are practically the same vacuums, with the only difference being their cleaning attachments:
- Shark DuoClean NV770 comes with 12 inch (~30.5 cm) crevice tool and pet multi-tool,
- Shark DuoClean NV771 comes with duster crevice tool and pet multi-tool.
Again, if additional cleaning attachments are required, they can be ordered later from online shops and stores.
Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed vs Shark APEX DuoClean AX912 Powered Lift-Away Speed Vacuum
Shark DuoClean NV771 and Shark APEX DuoClean AX912 are Lift-Away Speed upright vacuums that share many similarities, but they also differ, in few important details.
The following table lists the most important features and specifications:
|Model||Shark APEX DuoClean Powered Lift-Away Speed Vacuum AX912||Shark DuoClean Lift-Away Speed Vacuum NV771|
|Weight||14.8 lbs (~6.7 kg)||13 pounds (~5.9 kg)|
|Power Cord Length||30 feet (~9.1 m)||30 feet (~9.1 m)|
|Dimensions (LxWxH)||10.1 x 12 x 46.5 inches
~25.6 x 30.5 x 118 cm
|46 x 9.5 x 10 inches
~117 x 24.2 x 25.4 cm
|Motor||900 W (7.5 Amps)||900 W (7.5 Amps)|
|Pre-Motor Filter||Foam and Felt Filters||Foam and Felt Filters|
|Post-Motor Filter||Pre-HEPA and HEPA Filters||HEPA Filter|
|True HEPA Vacuum||Yes||No|
|Dirt Cup Capacity||0.9 Dry Quarts (~1 liter)||0.9 Dry Quarts (~1 liter)|
|LED Lights||On Floor Nozzle||On Floor Nozzle|
|Duster Crevice Tool||Yes||Yes|
|Anti-Allergen Dust Brush||Yes||No|
|MultiFLEX Under-Appliance Wand||Yes||No|
|Amazon Link||Shark APEX DuoClean AX912 Powered Lift-Away Speed Vacuum||Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed Vacuum|
Note: Amazon affiliate links open in the new windows, feel free to follow them for most up-to-date prices and offers.
As one can see, Shark DuoClean NV771 is slightly lighter than Shark APEX DuoClean AX912 (13 vs 14.8 pounds), and it is slightly more compact unit.
However, both models feature 30 feet long power cables, 900 W (7.5 Amps) power consumption, have 0.9 dry quarts (~1 liter) dirt cups, LED headlights on the floor nozzle, and they both come with duster crevice tool and pet multi-tool.
Shark APEX DuoClean AX912 has better air filtration, has wider cleaning path and come with more cleaning tools - it also comes with Anti-Allergen Dust Brush and MultiFLEX Under-Appliance Wand.
And it costs more than Shark DuoClean NV771.
For more about Shark AX912 model, check our Shark APEX DuoClean Powered Lift-Away Vacuums - Models AX912, AX950, AX951 and AX952 article.
Long Story Short: Shark DuoClean NV771 is very balanced design, featuring good suction, DuoClean main cleaning nozzle, cleaning hose and wand, several cleaning tools, etc. It is of convertible design - it can be used as classic upright vacuum cleaner, as vacuum cleaner with hose, or with the Lift-Away pod detached for cleaning areas that are hard to reach with 'ordinary' vacuums.
There are larger and stronger Lift-Away Shark vacuums with more cleaning attachments available by default, but they also tend to be heavier and more expensive.
If you are looking for good, balanced vacuum cleaner for keeping your home clean and pleasant to live, consider Shark DuoClean NV771 Lift-Away Speed vacuum cleaner.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Shark DuoClean NV771 Amazon link (link opens in the new window).