Winix 5500-2 True HEPA Air Purifier
Winix 5500-2 is a true HEPA air purifier, coming with several important features like PlasmaWave technology, washable Advanced Odor Control (AOC) carbon filter, HEPA air filter, remote control, stylish design and similar.
Winix 5500-2 is suitable for areas up to 360 sq.ft. (~33.5 m2) and with several cleaning modes and fan speeds and air quality sensor, it can be used to make home more pleasant and safer to live in.
Winix 5500-2 HEPA Air Purifier Features and Specifications
Winix 5500-2 physical dimensions are 8.2 × 15.0 × 23.6 inches (~20.8 x 38.1 x 60 cm) and it weighs 15.4 pounds (~7 kg) - it is anything but small and lightweight air purifier.
Unit is rated at 70 watts and during operation it is rather quiet unit, especially in Sleep mode.
Winix 5500-2 features AHAM verified maximum room size of 360 sq. ft. (~33.5 m2) - it is suitable for large rooms and even smaller apartments.
Air flow through the unit depends on the mode of operation and is given in Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM):
- Sleep Mode: 35.31 CFM,
- Low Mode: 70.63 CFM,
- Medium Mode: 91.82 CFM,
- High Mode: 123.60 CFM,
- Turbo: 240.14 CFM.
Due to the large potential air flow and multilayered air filtration, Winix 5500-2 features CADR (Clean Air Delivery Rate) ratings of 243 for Dust, 246 for Pollen and 232 for Smoke.
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier Controls
Winix 5500-2 is controlled via onboard console found on top of the unit and via remote control with approximately 20 ft. range.
From left to right:
- Power On/Off Button is used to turn the unit on and off,
- Mode Button is used for setting the desired mode of operation (Sleep, Auto),
- Air Quality Indicator colored LEDs to signal one of three detected levels or air quality: red (poor air quality), amber (fair), blue (good),
- PlasmaWave Button is used for turning PlasmaWave on and off,
- PlasmaWave Indicator signals to the user if the PlasmaWave is enabled or not,
- Fan Speed Button let the user set desired air speed: Low, Medium, High, Turbo,
- Fan Speed Indicator shows the current air speed,
- Timer Button allows the user to adjust timer settings to 1h, 2h, 8h, No Timer,
- Timer Indicator shows the set time of operation,
- Change Filter Indicator signals to the user that it is time to change the filter,
- Change Filter Reset Button should be pressed at least 5 seconds in order to reset Change Filter Indicator,
- Light Sensor detects amount of light in the room and adjust the brightness of the console,
- Odor Sensor in Auto mode detects the amount of common household odors and adjust the fan speed.
Note: When unit arrives, be sure to read the manual thoroughly - unit is very intuitive to operate, but there are few very important details that are specific and rather important. For example, in order to protect the air filters, when the unit arrives, they are wrapped into the protective plastic...
Remote control unit that comes with Winix 5500-2 has operating range of some 20 feet (~6.1 m) and includes On/Off button, Auto mode On/Off buttons, Fan Speed buttons, and Turbo mode button.
And that is all - simple, yet effective. To prevent the user from losing the remote control, it comes with suitable wall mount, where it can be stored when not in use.
Remote control unit uses one lithium non-rechargeable 3.0 volts CR2025 battery - when the battery is almost discharged, remote control will lose range at first and then stop operating completely.
Winix 5500-2 Air Filtration System
Three stage purification system consists of:
- Advanced Odor Control (AOC) carbon air filter: washable carbon air filter protects against Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), various odors, smoke and similar.
- True HEPA air filter captures 99.97% of 0.3 microns or larger particles, including allergens like pollen, mold spores, dust, pet dander, smoke particles, microbes etc.
- PlasmaWave air filtration system instantly neutralize bacteria, VOCs, gases, odors and similar, whole emitting ALMOST no harmful ozone.
Winix 5500-2 also comes with mechanical pre-filter which protects the other air filters from larger particles and debris.
Filters are easy to maintain:
- Pre-filter is permanent and it should be cleaned every 14 days or as required,
- AOC Carbon filter is washable and it should be washed every three months and replaced every year,
- True HEPA air filter is NOT washable. It should be also replaced every year.
Winix 5500-2 uses Filter H (item number 116130) consisting of both true HEPA air filter and AOC carbon filter - so change them both at the same time.
Note: according to the Winix 5500-2 manual, PlasmaWave doesn't emit any ozone. However, if one digs little bit deeper, PlasmaWave system of Winix 5500-2 emits traces amounts of ozone, up to 10 parts per billion (0.01 parts per million) - if any.
According to the OSHA ozone exposure levels should be 0.1 parts per million or less, and EPA ozone exposure levels should be less than 0.075 parts per million.
For short, amount of ozone that Winix 5500-2 emits are far below any significant level. But, for those that wants to be absolutely sure, PlasmaWave system can be turned off.
Again, negative ions produced by PlasmaWave doesn't mean ozone production, so if there is ozone produced/emitted, its levels are very very low.
Winix 5500-2 comes with two years limited warranty.
Long Story Short: Winix 5500-2 is large and powerful (in terms of CADR ratings) true HEPA air purifier with very low maintenance costs.
When replacing air filters (Filter F, by Winix), be sure to go for OEM air filter - one Filter F consists of both HEPA and carbon air filters, so be sure to replace them both.
Winix 5500-2 is not WiFi enabled unit and it can't be controlled with smartphone, tablet, or any similar device. Perhaps that is the one of the reasons why it is so popular device :)
For more reviews and recommendations, check Winix 5500-2 True HEPA Air Purifier Amazon link (link opens in the new window).