Shark ION RV750 Robot Vacuum Cleaner
Shark ION RV750 is robot vacuum cleaner featuring WiFi connectivity, remote app for Android and iOS, Amazon Alexa and/or Google Assistant support, self-cleaning main brushroll and few other features, making it one of the most popular robot vacuums on the market.
It can be controlled manually or via smartphone App, but it doesn't feature IR remote controller. But, after setting the WiFi, it can be monitored and controlled easily even by users who are not accustomed to such devices.
Shark ION RV750 Features and Specifications
When unit arrives, the box contains 2 extra side brushes, one air filter, charging dock with the charger, 9 feet of botboundary strip, 2 botboundary connectors, cleaning tool, instructions and the robot vacuum itself.
Shark ION RV750 is a compact and rather lightweight unit. Its diameter is 12.60 inches (32 cm) and it weighs 5.29 pounds (2.4 kg). Its height is only 2.60 inches (6.6 cm), allowing it to reach and clean under objects like beds, sofas and similar.
Shark ION RV750 robot vacuum is powered with 14.8V, 2600 mAh lithium-ion battery, providing 60-80 minutes of operation on a single charge, depending on the floor type, amount of dirt, battery and filters condition etc.
When the battery is discharged, unit stops with the cleaning, locate the charging dock and docks - it takes around three hours to recharge the battery completely.
Charging dock should be placed next to the wall with some 3 feet (~0.9 m) free of obstacles on both sides and 5 feet (~1.5 m) free of obstacles in front of the charging dock.
Manual controls are rather simple and they include On/Off Switch, Dock, Clean, Spot.
On/Off Switch turns the unit On/Off, Dock button tells the unit to find the docking station and dock/recharge, Clean button tells the unit to clean the area autonomously, and Spot button tells the unit to clean area in a spiral pattern.
In order to utilize the Shark ION RV750 robot vacuum fully, one has to install Shark's App (available fro both iOS and Android). App enables the unit to schedule cleaning times, control the unit remotely, and it provides access to tech support, voice control setup for Amazon Alexa and Google Home, it helps with troubleshooting the unit, and provides access to tips, tricks and FAQs.
Shark ION RV750 comes with full set of sensors in order to be able to navigate home and clean it properly.
So-called 'Smart Sensor Navigation' helps the robot to navigate floors and carpets, while proximity sensors sense the area and adapt to surrounding objects and obstacles.
However, it doesn't feature any advanced mapping system, which would allow it to clean the floor in the most efficient way, recharge itself automatically and resume the cleaning task.
In order to prevent the unit from entering restricted zones, Shark ION RV750 robot vacuum support the use of 'BotBoundary Strips'. Using these strips, user can limit access to the certain areas that the robot should not clean.
To clean edges properly and to improve overall cleaning, Shark RV750 features a pair of side brushes that pull in debris from edges and corners toward the central suction inlet and the main brushroll.
Main brushroll is designed to agitate the dirt and in combination with the vacuum suction to pick up various types of dirt, including short and long pet and human hair, dust, dander, and other allergens.
Also, main brushroll is of self-cleaning design, greatly reducing issues with entangled pet and human hair, lint, fibers and similar. Nonetheless, from time to time, the user has to clean it manually.
Shark ION RV750 vacuum is designed for small and medium homes in mind and is optimized for low-pile carpets and bare floors like tiles, hardwood, linoleum and similar.
Dirt bin capacity is 380 ml which is very good for the vacuum of this size. Dirt bin can be emptied quickly and easily and due to its smallish dimensions, it should be emptied after each cleaning.
Air filtration is good and is based on high-performance pleated air filter. Some sources claim that this is HEPA grade filter, but the manufacturer doesn't state what HEPA level.
Note: Pleated air filter is not washable.
Shark ION RV750 Cleaning Modes
Shark ION RV750 features several cleaning modes:
- Scheduled cleaning: unit cleans areas that it can reach at the designated intervals. No cleaning paths are equal, so if there are some uncleaned areas from one cleaning session, those cleaning areas are probably going to be cleaned in the next session. When the battery is discharged, unit stops with the cleaning, returns to the charging/docking station and recharges itself automatically.
- Manual cleaning is set via either Clean button on the robot or via Clean/Enter button on the mobile app. When started, unit cleans designated area until it is stopped by pressing once more Clean button on the robot vacuum, or Clean/Enter button on the mobile app, or when the battery is discharge.
- Spot cleaning cleans designated spot in the spiral pattern. It is set manually by pressing Spot button on the robot or on the mobile app.
Shark ION RV750 Maintenance
Shark ION RV750 and other robot vacuums can be of great aid in keeping homes and apartments clean, but they also require some attention.
Note: before doing any maintenance tasks, be sure to power off your robot vacuum
In order to function properly, some parts have to be cleaned regularly, including:
- Dust bin: empty the dust bin after each use. Dust bin capacity is 0.38 liters, which is good for the unit of this size, but nonetheless, it is not much.
- Main brushroll: check it weekly and if required, clean from entangled pet and human hair and fibers. It is self-cleaning brushroll, but from time to time it must be cleaned manually.
- Side brushes: Check weekly how worn down they are.
- Dust bin filter: Clean the filter weekly, but don't wash it.
- Front caster wheel: Remove it from the unit and clean it weekly or as required.
After some time, certain parts need to be replaced regularly. These parts are:
- Main brushroll should be replaced every 6-12 months, depending on the use, floor types and in the end, brushroll condition.
- Side brushes should be replaced when they are visibly worn out.
- Dust bin filter should be replaced every 2 months.
- Front caster wheel should be replaced every 12 months, or as required.
- Brushroll door should be replaced every 12 months.
- Battery should be replaced when directed by the 'replace battery' light on the robot and this time varies significantly, depending on the unit's use.
Shark ION RV750 vs iRobot Roomba 675 vs iRobot Roomba 690
Shark ION RV750, iRobot Roomba 675 and iRobot Roomba 690 are very similar units, differing in several, very important details.
Following table lists most important features and specifications of these units:
|Model||Shark ION RV750||iRobot Roomba 675||iRobot Roomba 690|
|Operating Time (Thin Carpets)||60 minutes||60 minutes||60 minutes|
|Operating Time (Bare Floors)||up to 80 minutes||up to 90 minutes||up to 90 minutes|
|Dimensions||12.60 x 2.60 inches||13.0 x 3.70 inches||13.0 x 3.70 inches|
|Weight||5.29 pounds||7.8 pounds||7.8 pounds|
|Recharge and Resume||No||No||No|
|Dirt Bin Capacity||0.38 liters||0.30 liters||0.30 liters|
|Virtual Wall Barrier||No||Yes, but not included.||Yes|
|Warranty||12 months||12 months||12 months|
|Amazon Link||Shark ION RV750||iRobot Roomba 675||iRobot Roomba 690|
Note: Amazon affiliate links open in the new window, feel free to check them for the latest offers and prices.
All three units are WiFi enabled and support both Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
Also, all three models support auto-recharging, cleaning task scheduling and come with 12 months warranty.
Operating time on thin carpets is around 60 minutes, while Roomba vacuums operate few minutes more on the bare floors, although this often comes down to individual vacuum.
Shark ION RV750 is lighter (5.29 vs 7.8 pounds) and more compact vacuum (12.60 x 2.60 vs 13.0 x 3.70 inches).
Also, Shark ION RV750 features larger dirt bin, but all three models should have their dirt bins emptied after each use.
iRobot Roomba 675 and 690 feature dirt detection sensors that allow them to locate areas with larger amount of dirt and clean them more thoroughly.
However, iRobot Roomba 675 and 690 feature only one side brush, while Shark RV750 feature two side brushes. Also, Shark RV750 feature self-cleaning main brushroll, saving maintenance time and effort.
iRobot Roomba 675 and 690 support the use of virtual wall barrier, but iRobot Roomba 675 doesn't include one.
On the other hand, Shark ION RV750 support the use of boundary strips that can be placed even under carpet.
As one can see, all three models are evenly matched - be sure to choose according to your individual needs and preferences.
For more about these Roomba vacuums, check our iRobot Roomba 675 and 690 Wi-Fi Connected Robot Vacuum Cleaners article.
Long Story Short: Shark ION RV750 robot vacuum is robot vacuum which offers features commonly found in more expensive models.
Shark ION RV750 is a very popular robot vacuum cleaner for good reasons - it is easy to set up and maintain and in the end, it does its job.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Shark ION RV750 Robot Vacuum Amazon link (link opens in the new window).