The Best Cordless Steam Mop - Features, Specifications and Recommendations
Steam mops clean and sanitize bare floors using hot steam and scrubbing effect of the steam mop pads. Using pretreat sprays and detergents can help with cleaning of the even the most stubborn stains and messes.
Published: August 4, 2019.
Cordless vacuums and cleaners in general use onboard battery to provide required energy for normal operation. Cordless steam mops thus, use onboard battery to power the water heater and scrubbing mechanism (if present) to clean and sanitize the cleaned floors - at least in theory. On the other hand, in the real life ...
Corded Steam Mops - Features and Specifications
Corded steam mops use power cord to connect the steam mop and wall power socket in order to provide enough power for onboard water heater. Most water heaters operate in 1400-1600 W range, although there are some smaller steam mops with ~1 kW water heaters.
Some steam mops feature scrubbing mechanism in order to clean bare floors more thoroughly - power required by scrubbing mechanism is almost negligible when compared with water heaters.
For short, corded steam mops require on average 1500 W to operate.
Other important features include:
- steam control allows the user to set required amount of steam according to the type of floors and dirt,
- steam mop pads should be replaced quickly and easily, even when the dirty pads are dirty,
- water tank capacity: water tank should be large enough to allow at least 20-30 minutes of uninterrupted steaming, which is enough for most of the situations. In most situations, 10 oz tanks are enough, but 15 oz tanks are better, etc.
For more info about (corded) steam mops, check our The Best Steam Mop - How to Pick One? article.
Cordless Steam Mops - Energy Requirement
Cordless steam mop requires really expensive onboard battery to operate properly.
For example, Dyson Cyclone V10 is one of the best (if not THE best) cordless vacuum on the market. In the maximum suction mode, its battery supply its motor (525W) for about 8 minutes.
Cordless steam mop should have at least 1000 W of power and should operate at least for 15 minutes. Such theoretical cordless steam mop would require 4x stronger/larger battery than Dyson Cyclone V10 which is easily possible with today's lithium ion batteries, but the actual price of such battery would be simply too much.
Thus, at the moment, THERE ARE NO true cordless steam mops on the market.
Cordless Steam Mops - Similar Units
User requiring cordless steam mops have several options:
- Get corded steam mop: corded steam mops come with 20-30 feet long power cords, allowing great cleaning range using single power socket. And since they are powered using mains power, they have strong water heaters, often with different steam settings and other features that help the user keep their home clean and safe for living.
- Get corded steam mop/vac combo: corded steam mop/vac combo units operate as small steam vacuums, allowing the user to vacuum the floors and clean them with hot steam in a single pass, saving time and effort.
Although such units cost slightly more than 'classic' corded steam mops, they are IMHO worth the price difference.
One of such units is very popular Bissell 1543A Symphony Pet All-in-One Vacuum & Steam Mop, featuring 1100 W water heater, 400 W suction motor, 12.8 oz (380 ml) water tank etc. For short, very useful unit.
- Cordless hard floor spray mops: these units are true cordless mops, but they use onboard batteries to power scrubbing mechanism and cleaning solution/detergent spray pump.
Although good lithium batteries are more expensive than NiMH batteries, hard floor spray mops with lithium batteries are not very expensive units. Since they operate at least 15-20 minutes on a single battery charge, they can clean large area quickly, without the need to recharge or replace the battery to get the job done completely.
One of such units is Bissell 2307 SpinWave Cordless Hard Floor Mop, featuring two spinning pads, 18V lithium battery and up to 20 minutes of operation on a single battery charge.
- Steam and spray mop combo: these units operate as corded steam mops, as cordless hard floor spray mops and as corded steam & spray mops.
For cleaning as corded steam mops they feature water heater, with or without scrubbing mechanism. As cordless spray mops they clean the floors by combining scrubbing effect of mop pads (manual or motorized) and cleaning solution/detergent. In the end, as corded steam & spray mops, they clean by combining the hot steam, cleaning solution/detergent and scrubbing effect of mop pads.
One of such units is Shark SK460 Professional Steam & Spray Mop, featuring 4 AA batteries for powering spray pump, 3 steam settings, 3 cleaning modes, separate clean water and detergent tanks and some other, very useful features.
- Corded steam mop and cordless vacuum cleaner: these units operate as corded steam mop and can be converted in cordless stick/upright/handheld vacuums. Conversion of such units can be done quickly, but in the end, they are NOT cordless steam mops.
Although such units are rather versatile, there aren't many models on the market. One of them is Nugeni Steva+ All In One Upright Cordless Handheld Vacuum with Handheld Steamer and Steam Mop (Amazon link, link opens in the new window), which can be used as corded steam mop, corded handheld steamer, cordless stick vacuum cleaner and cordless handheld vacuum cleaner.
Of course, there are other combo units on the market, but these are most popular.
Personally, if You need a good cordless steam mop, either go for corded steam mop (or steam mop/vacuum combo) or go for cordless hard floor spray mop.
If You google for 'cordless steam mop' or 'best cordless steam mop', You will find many pages listing the number of 'cordless steam mops', but be aware that those units are again, either a corded steam mops or cordless spray mops (or some similar cleaning units).